Database Operation and configuration
GeelongWeb has a very powerful database module that can be configured to provide a wide range of functions and facilities very easily.
We can set up databases for a variety purposes and the databases can can almost any desired name. For the purposes of these help files we will assume the database is called "Members"
Any databases that have been setup will have a basic link in the left hand administration index.
When you initially click on the database ("Members") link, you will see a screen similar to the one below.
(Depending on your configuration some features may not be visible in your module)
The top links are generally for administration purposes and would not be used regularly (for more detail about any of these functions, click the relevant link below)
- Setup Members database - Normally only needs to used during the setup process.
- Check/configure fields - Used to create new data fields and setup the data "Filters" and the default "Display columns".
- General settings - Used to set a wide range of functions such as Search parameters, Quick links.
- Backup/Restore - By default GeelongWeb maintains various backups but any database file can be emailed (depending on size) to your website administratoras often as required.
- Upload csv data/Upload XLS data - You can populate the database by adding individual items one at a time, or you can bulk import a number of items from csv text files or excel spreadsheets.
- Reports - A wide variety of reports can be setup and used.
- Check for duplicates/blanks - allows you to quickly check for duplicate or blank items in the database.
- Clear SQL - Returning to the database after a particular search has been made normally displays the same search result criteria, however sometime it might be desirable to clear the previous search SQL (Structured Query Language) query.